You Oughta Know!

You oughta know...
Math Chats are AWESOME!!!
 
I'm super excited to be linking up with Mrs. McClain over at Buzzing with Mrs. McClain for my first "You Oughta Know" Blog Hop!
http://buzzingwithmrsmcclain.blogspot.com/2015/04/you-oughta-know-about-seesaw.html
  I'm sharing all about Math Chats!  I have been using Math Chats in my classroom for a few years now and I have found that they really help my students with developing their number sense skills.  Some of the number sense skills incorporated within math chats are subitizing, counting, and addingI also love math chats because students are using math vocabulary and able to see writing modeled for them.  Here are some directions I came up with for using math chats in your classroom:
  Let me share a few pictures with you so you can see them in action! 
You can see from this winter math chat, we were working on teen numbers.  I put ten frames around the pictures, recorded the equations, and drew ten frames beside the numbers.  You can also see tons of math vocabulary!
I decided to change things up for this valentine math chat and let my students do the writing.  I had them work in partners and when they finished one idea, they could write another.  Love all of the math vocabulary they were able to independently use!
We had been doing a lot of addition when we did this St. Patrick's Day math chat so there are lots of equations on this one.  We also used the greater than/less than symbols that we had previously talked about during our calendar routines.

Are you excited to try math chats in your classroom?!?!  
Check out my Math Chats Pack on Teachers Pay Teachers by clicking the image below!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Chats-1404426

I've also created a FREEBIE for you (this is included in the paid Math Chat Pack on TpT)!  Just click the picture to download!  I'd love to hear if you are able to try this in your classroom!!
An InLinkz Link-up
post signature

14 comments

  1. This is great! I don't know how your handwriting is so neat. Do you re copy them? Now that I have a SMART Board I record my students' thinking digitally, that way I can make it look presentable. It just makes it hard to display.
    Deb
    Not very fancy in 1st

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't recopy my charts, although sometimes I make some that are tempting to recopy! haha! My kindergarten kids love watching me draw pictures and write so I think that is motivation to help me make the charts look neat!! Using technology to record their ideas is definitely a great idea, but I understand what you mean about making it hard to display since it would only be on 8.5x11 paper. We all need poster printers in our classrooms!! Wouldn't that be nice!! Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!!

      Delete
  2. I love how you broke the math chat into simple steps. Thanks!
    Mercedes
    Surfing to Success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the steps could help!! I hope that you are able to try a math chat in your classroom! They really do offer so much to students and they are so kid-friendly! I can't wait to check out all the ideas from the other bloggers who linked up in this Blog Hop!! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

      Delete
  3. This is SO helpful in getting started in math chats/talk. I've tried a couple of times and things just kind of fell flat. Now I have a starting point and using your step-by-step directions will make it easy-peasy! (I found you through the blog hop and I'm now a new e-mail follower.)

    I did think of a way to further use this idea in the classroom--let the kids make the chat sheets with stickers or stamps. The whole class can work on them as you've shown here and the kiddos will be so excited to see their contribution being used & valued by all. Everyone can make one and I can just have the pile waiting conveniently nearby. Bonus--one less thing I have to PLAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your idea of having the kids create their own math chats!!! They would definitely love that and by this point in the year we have done enough that they would have the background knowledge of them and know just what to do independently! Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  4. I love this idea for building number sense and embedding math vocabulary! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Building math vocabulary is one of my favorite parts of math chats!! They get to say, hear, and see the vocabulary through a math chat. So many great things connected and learned through one simple activity!

      Delete
  5. I am so impressed with the math chat posters and information your students have come up with on your posters. It is evident that there is amazing learning taking place in your classroom. Thanks for the freebie! I am going to use that in my classroom :)
    Suzanne

    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne!! My kids really enjoy doing math chats! If you are able to use it in your classroom, I hope your students love them as much as mine! You will love the discussion your kids have and all of the ideas that they come up with!!

      Delete
  6. What a great way to encourage math discourse in an engaging way! Love the open-endedness of this activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Math chats definitely are open-ended! Sometimes they come up with things that I wasn't even thinking of! The open-endedness is one of the many things I love about using math chats with my students!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing about math chats! Our district uses Eureka Math and it really pushes for students to dialogue about their thinking and to see how their peers understand any given math problem or math situation. Math Chats will fit perfectly with that!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely sounds like math chats would fit in with the math program that your district uses!! That math dialogue is super important to really help students explain their thinking. It's amazing how much you can learn about a student from such a simple activity! Thanks so much for hosting this blog hop! I found a lot of great ideas through it!

      Delete

Back to Top